The Benefits of Home Working
More and more companies are giving their employees the option to work from home.
Working from home could increase your productivity, banish your commuter stress and greatly reduce your travel expenses.
You may also be able to benefit from tax relief on some of your household expenses. Check out www.hmrc.gov.uk for more information.
In addition, research by the Office for National Statistics has found that median wages for home workers are £13.23 an hour compared with £10.50 an hour for other workers.
Taking it Further
Although working from home isn’t for everyone, if you enjoy your own company and are able to keep your professional and home life separate, establishing a home office could be a great money saver.
To find out more about home working, check out www.workfromhomewisdom.com/ which provides advice on just about everything home working related, from avoiding procrastination to beating isolation.
Tips for working from your home
• Ideally your home office should be a discreet space separate from the rest of the house: for example, by creating an office in the attic
• Your home office needs to be comfortable, well lit, and draught free
• You may want to have a separate telephone line and answering machine for your business calls.
• Present a professional image by using a local hotel with a lobby to meet with clients or suppliers
• Go the extra mile for clients that you really want to impress by renting office space by the hour from specialist companies such as Regus.
Need further advice?
Check out our discussion forum